Clem Smith Jr. is Rivendell’s fat-tire, easy to fender & rack, joyously upright and stable, and more affordable than the rest of our lineup bicycle frame.
They're more affordable only because most of the joints are tig-welded instead of lugged. Tigs cut the construction time for each frame down by a lot so the price gets lower. It's a perfectly strong way to make a bicycle, although not as pretty to look at as lugs.
Clems still have a strong wide fork crown, napkin-ring reinforcement lugs at the headtube, and a beautiful well-designed seatlug, so it looks far from a generic bike.
These are made by the same people who make the more expensive frames and with the same materials even.
FRAME SIZES/WHEEL SIZES:
- 45cm / 650b / 27.5 inch new mountain bikey size wheels.
- 52cm / 650b / 27.5-inch new mountain bikey size wheels.
- 59cm / 700c rim size, but with room for "29er" tires
- 64cm / 700c rim size, but with room for "29er" tires
Seatpost Dimensions — 26.8mm for 45cm and 52cm and 29.8mm for 59cm and 64cm
Rear spacing - 135mm
Front derailer clamp size - 31.8mm for all sizes. Get a Skeleton Key FD on our site. It's not a looker, but it works so, so well.
What's included other than a frame and fork? A seatpost and a FSA Duron headset.
45cm - 68 to 81cm
52cm - 74 to 88cm
59cm - 86 to 96cm
64cm - 93 to 101cm
Pick the frame size that your PBH falls most in the middle of the range.
If you'd like a build, we can do that. It'll be more expensive than the boxed Clems but you'll have more control over the component selection. Check out the build packages here; we recommend the "you pick the fun stuff" kits.
Shipping Bikes and Frames
- Frames Shipping: $87 +/- to lower 48 states.
- Bike Shipping: $250 +/- to lower 48
- International is more complicated - call or email
You can always arrange to pick up your bike here in Walnut Creek, California. California pickups and deliveries pay California sales tax.
- If you want to use cantis, buy cable hangers too.
- Call (800) 345 3918 or (925) 933 7304
- Monday-Friday 9am-5pm
- Saturdays 10am-4pm