Complete Bicycle - Clem Smith Jr. H
- Tig welding most of the joints (see first sentence below)
- Having the completes assembled where they're made, in Taiwan
Most of the joints are tig welded but there's a seat lug, two lug-like head tube reinforcing rings, and one of our ultra-duper fork crowns. It's our model RC-05, a wide, flat-shouldered crown that's also used on our Hunqapillar and allows tires up to a 2.4 easily.
As a trail bike, commuter, shopper, all-around ruffabout bike, it’s as pure and perfect as you’ll find anywhere. I/Grant think of it as a mountain bike–and the frame does pass the mountain bike EN test, the toughest in the world, so it’s not going to break on you. But in the 2017 real world bicycle market, "mountain bike" has come to mean 'barely a bicycle anymore, mostly a motocross bike, with motocross bike aesthetics.'
CLEM is no less a mountain bike for its lack of suspension. It doesn't encourage you to ride like beyond your limits, though. With no mechanical suspension, you ride rutted trails with your joints relaxed and absorb shocks unthinkingly-automatically, the same way you’d do it if you jumped to the floor from the top of a ladder.
An unsuspended/natural style mountain bike rules out showing-off and stupid riding. It means you go slower, which means you might not keep up with your full-gizmo’d comrades. You travel over the ground, you don’t go at it with the latest land-conquering weaponry developed for the modern mountain biker.The CLEM will be around and in use in 60 years and will still be a great bike then. There's nothing weird about it, it will always be easy to service, because nothing is hidden in blackboxes and there's nothing electronic. It's a bike that will outlive all trends and keep on going. Un-obsoletable!
FRAME SIZES/WHEEL SIZES:
45cm / 26-inch traditional mountain bikey size wheels.
Typical rider height: 5-0 to 5-5
52cm / 27.5-inch new mountain bikey size wheels.
Typical rider height: 5-5 to 5-11
59cm, 65cm /700c newish mountain bike size (29r)
Typical rider height: 5-9 to 6-8
- FSA Duron headset
- Nitto Tallux Stem (11cm for the 52, 12cm for the 59)
- 55cm Cromo Bosco
- Silver 38/24 Cranks (173mm for 52, 178mm for the 59)
- Deore Rear Derailleur
- Claris Front Derailleur
- Deore V-Brakes
- Sunrace BLM V-brake levers
- Microshift Thumbies, mounted inboard the way we like 'em
- Nine speed 12-34 Sunrace cassette
- Alex DM24 Rims 32/36
- 9 speed chain
- Non-Pletscher but still good kickstand
- Kalloy Post (29.8mm for the 59, 26.8 for the 45 and 52)
- Grey Housing
- No Saddle, Grips, or Pedals are included in the price of this product
Shipping Bikes and Frames
- Frames Shipping: $87 +/- to lower 48 states.
- Bike Shipping: $175 +/- to lower 48
- International is more complicated - call or email
We'll adjust the final shipping charge when the frame/bike actually ships.
You can always arrange to pick up your bike here in Walnut Creek, California. California pickups and deliveries pay California sales tax.
- Call (800) 345 3918 or (925) 933 7304
- Monday-Friday 10am-4pm
- Saturdays 10am-4pm
- Email to email@example.com with subject: "Clem Smith build" and one of us will get back to you with more info and estimates.